Sunday, December 9, 2012

American Dream Part 2


A couple weeks ago, I posted a blog about what I thought the American Dream was. In it, I mentioned different reasons for immigrants coming to America, the circumstances that they had in their previous countries and also information about job security. Since then, I have learned much more about the American Dream and immigration. Overall, my ideas about the American Dream are relatively similar. However, some of the minor details about the American Dream have changed.

The big picture for the American Dream is the same. Immigrants come to the U.S. from all around the world with various different reasons. Some of these reasons could be income, fighting, racism etc. The immigrants come to America hoping that they can restart their lives and get a new job with a new chance. They know that the move to America, is better than just simply staying in their home country. When they get to the U.S., most of them find out that getting a high paying job is much harder than they originally though. Many will struggle and most of them will contemplate returning to their home country.

Like I noted at before, I learned a lot of information about minor details about the American Dream. Firstly, I found it very interesting that there are some many immigrants from Africa here in the U.S. Or at least I didn't know that there were so many of them. In addition, it was very interesting to compare the information I researched about Israel with the information that Jessica researched about Jewish immigrants. There were lots of comparisons, including the immigrants populating near other Jewish people. This is why there are sporadic concentrations of Jews through the country.

Overall, I find the American Dream and immigration very interesting. It is cool to find out how America got its diversity. Perhaps without all of the conflict, low income and other sources for immigration, America would not be as diverse as it is today. One thing that this unit got me thinking about is immigration in the future. I am curious about this subject because sooner than later, the U.S. will be overpopulated and everybody won't be able to immigrate to the U.S. due to lack of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment